Your Local CISMA | Permitting | Road Commission | MSU Extension | Land conservancies | Department of Natural Resources | Watershed councils | Water Resources Commission

Have questions about invasive species in your area? Contact your local CISMA.

Cooperative Invasive Species Management Areas are groups of non-profits, government agencies, businesses and volunteers that have come together to tackle the issue of invasive species in their regions. CISMAs can offer a range of services for preventing, identifying, reporting and managing invasive species. Wherever you live in Michigan, there is a local CISMA ready to assist you.

Learn more about permit requirements and how to contact your municipality.

You must be the landowner, or receive written permission from the landowner, before proceeding with invasive species treatment. Learn more about applying for permits through EGLE (Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes, and Energy).

Road visibility issues

If there are issues with visibility along county road ways due to vegetation present, contact the Road Commission for Oakland County at 877-858-4804. Along state highways (including highways with letters in their names, such as “M-1”, “US-24” or “I-75”), contact the Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT). For city- or village-owned roads, contact that municipality.

Looking for general information about lawn & garden care, natural resources, agriculture, and more? Contact Oakland County Michigan State University Extension.

MSU Extension offers key educational programs, information about lawn and garden care, and a variety of classes and activities. MSU Extension offers resources in the form of articles, classes, events, podcasts, publications, recipes, videos and more. Use Ask An Expert for help with insect or non-invasive plant and pest diagnoses, provide samples to plant and pest diagnostics or get your soil tested!

Interested in permanently protecting your land from development? Contact a local land conservancy!

Land conservancies, also known as land trusts, are community-based, nonprofit organizations dedicated to permanent protection and stewardship of natural and working lands. Land conservancies help landowners and communities protect the places important to us all.

Michigan Karst Conservancy

Address: 2805 Gladstone Ave. Ann Arbor, MI 48104

Blue Heron Headwaters Land Conservancy

Address: P.O. Box 285 Clarkston, MI 48347
Phone: 248-846-6547 Email:

Six Rivers Land Conservancy

Address: 4480 Orion Rd, Rochester Hills, MI 48308
Phone: 248-601-2816 Email:

Southeast Michigan Land Conservancy

Address: 8383 Vreeland Rd. Superior Township, MI 48198
Phone: 734-484-6565

The Conservation Fund Midwest Office

Address: P.O. Box 506 Sawyer, MI 49125
Phone: 269-426-8825

The Nature Conservancy in Michigan

Address: 101 E. Cesar E. Chavez Ave Lansing, MI 48906
Phone: 517-316-0300

Michigan Nature Association

Address: 2310 Science Parkway #100 Okemos, MI 48864
Phone: 517-655-5655

Trust for Public Land

Address: 101 Montgomery Street Suite 900 San Francisco, CA 94104
Phone: 415-495-4014 Email:

Questions about wildlife? Get information from the Michigan Department of Natural Resources

For nuisance wildlife covering conflicts with animals such as bats, coyotes, raccoons, etc.

What to do when you find an animal in the wild: [WEBLINK]

Have questions about installing rain barrels/rain gardens? Looking to report a log jam on a local river? Contact your local watershed council.

Clinton River Watershed Council

Address: 1115 W Avon, Rochester Hills, MI
Phone: 248-601-0606

Flint River Watershed Coalition

Address: 1300 Bluff Street, Suite 114, Flint, MI 48504
Phone: 810-767-6490

Friends of the Rouge

Address: 650 Church Street Suite 209, Plymouth, MI 48170
Phone: 734-927-4900

Friends of the Shiawassee River

Address: 538 N Shiawassee Street, Corunna, MI 48817
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 402, Owosso, MI 48867
Phone: 989-723-9062

Huron River Watershed Council

Address: 1100 N. Main, Suite 210, Ann Arbor, MI 48104
Phone: 734-769-5123

Michigan Inland Lakes Partnership

Contact: Dr. Jo Latimore, Administrative Facilitator, Michigan State University
Phone: 517-432-1491

Looking to learn more about the watersheds in your area? Explore the watersheds in your area online!

Back to Top