You must be the landowner, or receive written permission from the landowner, before proceeding with invasive species treatment.

Application of pesticides to standing water

If pesticides are used to treat invasive species in standing water, an Aquatic Nuisance Control (ANC) permit from the Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes and Energy (EGLE) is required. The permit must be in place before treatment begins. Authorization must be requested for each location where pesticides will be applied. Permission from the landowner must be supplied.

The permit holder could be a contractor, a municipality, or a regional invasive species organization like Oakland County CISMA. Before invasive species treatment starts, notification of the affected community is required. At the end of each year, the permit holder provides documentation of any authorized invasive species treatments that took place in or near standing water.

Interested in treating invasive species within a conservation easement? You need authorization from the easement holder prior to treatment. There is generally a permanent sign installed that states who the easement holder is.

Interested in applying for an ANC permit? Find out more on their website.

Do you have specific questions about when an ANC permit is required or what types of treatment the permit allows? Review this Frequently Asked Questions document or contact ANC program staff.

Some communities in Oakland County also require permits to be issued prior to invasive species treatment. These communities include:

  • West Bloomfield Township requires permits for treatment of invasive species 25 feet from the edge of a wetland, as well as within a wetland.

Removal of aquatic vegetation

A permit is generally not required from EGLE to control aquatic submerged vegetation in inland lakes by mechanical harvesting, which involves cutting plants above the lake bottom with no soil disturbance. Removal of more than 1 or 2 aquatic plants that disturbs the lake bottom requires a permit.