Generally, invasive species should NOT be put in compost, as it often does not get hot enough to kill them and can contribute to their regrowth and spread.
- Stack and leave cut plant material in one place for a year to dry out
- Burn them where allowed by local regulations or chip woody invasive species
- Cut invasive plant material can be placed in black plastic garbage bags and placed in the trash. Make sure you label them as invasive plant species, as waste-collectors will not collect other plant material, like lawn-clippings, for landfills
- Certain waste-collectors suggest contacting them in advance to make sure the bags are collected
Additional information on disposal:
- General disposal guide from State of Michigan
- Disposal through Waste Management