Once you have identified invasive species on your property, the next step is to manage those species. You can treat invasive species yourself, or you can hire a contractor to do the work. Make sure that your treatment timing and treatment method are appropriate, otherwise treatment may not be effective. Many invasive species take several years to control.

Download the treatment calendar graphic planning tool PDF!

Homeowner’s guides to treatment

You can treat some invasive species yourself, check out our brochures for Phragmites, knotweed and swallow-wort. If the species are located in standing water, you must have a permit from the state of Michigan to treat the species.

Woody invasive species (buckthorn, invasive honeysuckles, autumn olive, Asian bittersweet, multiflora rose, privet): guide to identification and treatment and video demonstrating these techniques.

Oak wilt: view our webinar to learn more, and hire an oak wilt qualified specialist to design a treatment plan.

Purple loosestrife: cut off the flower spikes before they go to seed and dispose of them in the trash.

Garlic mustard and dames rocket: hand pull these species after they flower and before they go to seed. Dispose of plants in the trash. You can also organize a group of neighbors for a garlic mustard pull at your local park! Bring garbage bags, wear gloves and dispose of plants in the trash.

If you find any watch list species, such as European frog-bit, Chinese yam and Red swamp crayfish, contact the CISMA immediately and we will provide advice and assistance!

Contact the CISMA if you would like any more information on these techniques or approaches!


If there is too much work to do, or you do not want to do the work yourself, you can hire a contractor. First find out if your municipality already has a contract in place with a local contractor. Currently, these contracts are only for Phragmites treatment.

If not, here is a list of contractors who may provide services in Oakland County and their contact information, and what services contractors provide . Contractors applying herbicides in Michigan must carry a Commercial Pesticide Applicator Business License. Some contractors on these lists provide native plants or hand control, but are not authorized to apply herbicides.

Note that terrestrial invasive species chemical control might include treatment of plants such as Phragmites, knotweed, swallow-wort and others. Note that aquatic invasive species chemical control might include control of plants rooted in water (i.e. Phragmites), floating on the water, or submerged plants (such as Eurasian watermilfoil).

Are you an invasive species or restoration contractor and want us to add your information? Contact Us!