Identification Resources | Treatment Contractors | Farmer’s Market Managers
Here you’ll find resources from Oakland County CISMA and other sources. Click the links to open documents or to visit associated web pages.
Resources for invasive species ID:
- Field Identification Guide to Invasive Plants in Michigan’s Natural Communities
- Detailed descriptions of invasive species along with photos.
- Midwest Invasive Species Information Network (MISIN) training modules
- Common characteristics of invasive species, species information, and distribution maps. You can also report invasive species through the MISIN online website or the MISIN app
- State of Michigan invasive species hub
- Includes species profiles, grant information and list of Michigan’s prohibited and restricted species among other resources
- Try out image-recognition software like the ones listed below:
- iNaturalist phone app (https://www.inaturalist.org/) or Seek by iNaturalist phone app (https://www.inaturalist.org/pages/seek_app)
- Google Lens (https://lens.google.com/)
INVASIVE SPECIES TREATMENT PLANNING
Oakland County CISMA treatment planning calendar [PDF]
INVASIVE SPECIES TREATMENT CONTRACTORS:
Here is a list of contractors who may provide services in Oakland County and their contact information [PDF], additionally, here is a list of what services contractors provide [PDF].
Note that terrestrial invasive species chemical control might include treatment of plants such as Phragmites, knotweed, swallow-wort and others. Note that aquatic invasive species chemical control might include control of plants rooted in water (i.e. Phragmites), floating on the water, or submerged plants (such as Eurasian watermilfoil).
Are you an invasive species or restoration contractor and want us to add your information? Contact Us!
Resources for farmer’s market managers:
Share our rack card [PDF] with your local farmer’s market!
Are you a farmer’s market manager? Learn about the Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development’s role in inspecting hardy plants at markets! [YouTube VIDEO]
Learn about invasive species you might find at markets and how your local Cooperative Invasive Species Management Area (CISMA) can help you! [YouTube VIDEO]
Are these invasive species in your market? [PDF of color flyer]
Have questions about invasive species? Ask your local Cooperative Invasive Species Management Areas (CISMAs). [PDF of southeast MI CISMA contacts]
Have questions about what vendors are allowed to sell at your market? Ask your local Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development (MDARD) representative. [Link to MDARD contacts]
Oakland County CISMA outreach materials:
Wild carrot family (giant hogweed, wild parsnip, poison hemlock) rack card
Watch list species identification rack card (European frog-bit, Chinese yam, Japanese stiltgrass, Red swamp crayfish)
Invasive forest pest brochure (Oak wilt, spotted lanternfly, beech leaf disease, Asian longhorned beetle etc.)