Oakland County CISMA hosts and co-hosts events to increase public awareness about invasive species and how to best manage and prevent them. See upcoming events below or check out events on our Facebook page!
- POSTPONED: Spring 2020 Invasive Species Summit – Originally planned for March 21st, 1-4:30pm, this event will be rescheduled for later in the year.
- POSTPONED: Protect Your Oak Trees, Oak Wilt: an Invasive Fungus, Julie Stachecki – Originally planned for March 24th, 7-8:30pm, this event will be rescheduled for later in the year.
- Fighting Michigan’s invaders, one little red one at a time| Detroit News
- Efforts underway to identify and control frog-bit in Oakland County | Spinal Column
- Regional collaborative efforts find unique ways to combat invasive species | Huron Daily Tribune
- Invasive plant taking over wildlife, blocking drivers view in Oakland County | WXYZ Channel 7
- Road Commission attacks Phragmites on local roadways | C & G newspapers
- Website highlights state-funded invasive species efforts | Detroit News
- Michigan has a new invasive species [European frog-bit], what can we do about it? | Michigan Wildlife Council
- 1 minute interview with Erica Clites, Director, Oakland County CISMA | Spinal Column
- Special committee raises awareness about invasive species | West Bloomfield Beacon
- Invasive species alert: European frog-bit detected in Novi, MI water bodies | Press release
- Invasive plants attack home values | Birmingham Bloomfield Eagle, Farmington Press, Madison Park News, Royal Oak Review, Shelby Utica News, Southfield Sun, Sterling Heights Sentry, Troy Times, West Bloomfield Beacon
- Learn about invasive species at the Spring Invasive Species Summit! | Press release
- Six Rivers Land Conservancy receives two grants to fund invasive species control | Rochester Media
- State money will help Oakland County fight invasive plant species | Oakland Press
- Learn how to protect your oak trees from invasive oak wilt | Press release
- Communities join together to combat invasive species choking Oakland County wetlands | Oakland Press
- Don’t be fooled by invasive species | Channel 4 Live in the D
- Oakland County communities band together to battle invasive Phragmites plant species | WDIV Channel 4
SPRING INVASIVE SPECIES SUMMIT 2019
Thanks to all who attended our free public open house to learn about invasive species in Oakland County! Please share the presentations and information presented at the Summit with your friends and neighbors! Watch video of the entire event here!
- Video presentation by Dr. Janice Gilbert
- Introduction to the Oakland County CISMA by Coordinator Erica Clites
- Invasive red swamp crayfish by Dr. Lucas Nathan (Mich. Dept. Natural Resources)
- European frogbit: a new aquatic invader by Tom Alwin (Mich. Dept. Environmental Quality)
- Preventing the spread of oak wilt by Phillip Kurzeja (American Arbor LLC)
Thanks to workshop leaders Emily DuThinh (North Oakland Headwaters Land Conservancy) and Jared Aslakson (PlantWise) for their presentations on invasive species ID and treatment as well as native plant gardening.