- Summary of garlic mustard pulls throughout Oakland County in April and May!
- April 20 4-6pm: Tabling at West Bloomfield Parks and Recreation Earth Day Celebration
- Check out the Facebook event for details: https://www.facebook.com/events/290482622596924
- April 27 5-6pm: Virtual office hours: Ask Oakland County CISMA Director Erica Clites your invasive species questions! No appointment required, join anytime; you may be in the waiting room for several minutes if Erica is talking to someone else.
- Click to join: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/84403589367?pwd=RDJqNGZ5elg4clorb2FKMGQ2Qm4rQT09
- Invite your friends on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/266949355146630
- May 1 10am – 1pm: Rochester Hills garlic mustard pull (Harding Green Space, park 940 W. Avon)
- May 11 7-8pm: Webinar: Garlic mustard, dames rocket and other spring invasive species identification and control!
- Free registration required: https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZwrceGvqzwuEtRclMzYd-04jm5g0Ka-Leht
- Invite your friends on our Facebook Event page: https://www.facebook.com/events/552138482431409
- 1 MDARD recertification credit available in categories 2, 3B and 6
- May 15: 9am – noon: Polly Ann Trail Garlic mustard pull (Oxford Township)
- July 14: Public meeting about European frog-bit project
Oakland County CISMA hosts and co-hosts events to increase public awareness about invasive species and how to best manage and prevent them. See upcoming events below or check out events on our Facebook page!
Recordings of past presentations
View on our YouTube page! [WEBLINK]
Other webinars about invasive species
Not MI Species free webinar series from the state of Michigan: focus on grass carp, red swamp crayfish and hemlock wooly adelgid.
- Learn more and register: https://www.michigan.gov/egle/0,9429,7-135-3308_3333-539592–,00.html
EPA Integrated Pest Management free webinars: https://www.epa.gov/ipm/upcoming-integrated-pest-management-webinars
North America Invasive Species Management Association (NAISMA) free webinars: https://naisma.org/programs/professional-development/webinars/
- Oakland County CISMA receives new grant to support invasive species management | Press release
- European frog-bit is invading our lakes | Rochester Media
- Protecting trees from oak wilt | Oakland County Times
- Invasive plants educational event | Oakland County Times
- Fighting Michigan’s invaders, one little red one at a time| Detroit News
- Efforts underway to identify and control frog-bit in Oakland County | Spinal Column
- Regional collaborative efforts find unique ways to combat invasive species | Huron Daily Tribune
- Invasive plant taking over wildlife, blocking drivers view in Oakland County | WXYZ Channel 7
- Road Commission attacks Phragmites on local roadways | C & G newspapers
- Website highlights state-funded invasive species efforts | Detroit News
- Michigan has a new invasive species [European frog-bit], what can we do about it? | Michigan Wildlife Council
- 1 minute interview with Erica Clites, Director, Oakland County CISMA | Spinal Column
- Special committee raises awareness about invasive species | West Bloomfield Beacon
- Invasive species alert: European frog-bit detected in Novi, MI water bodies | Press release
- Invasive plants attack home values | Birmingham Bloomfield Eagle, Farmington Press, Madison Park News, Royal Oak Review, Shelby Utica News, Southfield Sun, Sterling Heights Sentry, Troy Times, West Bloomfield Beacon
- Learn about invasive species at the Spring Invasive Species Summit! | Press release
- Six Rivers Land Conservancy receives two grants to fund invasive species control | Rochester Media
- State money will help Oakland County fight invasive plant species | Oakland Press
- Learn how to protect your oak trees from invasive oak wilt | Press release
- Communities join together to combat invasive species choking Oakland County wetlands | Oakland Press
- Don’t be fooled by invasive species | Channel 4 Live in the D
- Oakland County communities band together to battle invasive Phragmites plant species | WDIV Channel 4
Check out our webinar recordings on our YouTube page! [WEBLINK]
SPRING INVASIVE SPECIES SUMMIT 2019
Thanks to all who attended our free public open house to learn about invasive species in Oakland County! Please share the presentations and information presented at the Summit with your friends and neighbors! Watch video of the entire event here!
- Video presentation by Dr. Janice Gilbert
- Introduction to the Oakland County CISMA by Coordinator Erica Clites
- Invasive red swamp crayfish by Dr. Lucas Nathan (Mich. Dept. Natural Resources)
- European frogbit: a new aquatic invader by Tom Alwin (Mich. Dept. Environmental Quality)
- Preventing the spread of oak wilt by Phillip Kurzeja (American Arbor LLC)
Thanks to workshop leaders Emily DuThinh (North Oakland Headwaters Land Conservancy) and Jared Aslakson (PlantWise) for their presentations on invasive species ID and treatment as well as native plant gardening.